While the word “upcycling” has been around since the late 90’s, not many people practice or even understand what it means. “Upcycling” means to reuse something you were going to throw away and turn it into a product of higher quality or value than the original. By upcycling, you can get more bang for your buck by reusing something you already have and not buying an additional item. We are all about saving our money (and planet) while also getting the most use out of something!
In addition to the benefits of upcycling, it is a great opportunity to personalize your garden this season and make it be a true resemblance of your personality and style!
Use this list as inspiration and rethink the use of some other items deemed as ‘unwanted’ around your house. Get creative! Think outside the box! Any items you don’t have a use for anymore can be upcycled for your garden with a little bit of love and TLC.
Here are some ideas of gently used materials you might have laying around to get you started:
1. Old desk – chair, top, drawers and all!
2. Trunks/suitcases – adds depth and perception to your garden.
3. Hollowed out tree log – gives you all the earthy vibes.
4. Fruit stand – line it with coco liner for a professional look!
5. Colanders – great for drainage!
• Pro tip: to make a hanging basket, hook some chains to it, add a cocofiber basket liner, and then you will be all set!
6. Shoe organizer – plant an array of colors or make your own color scheme.
7. Old purses or reusable bag – yes, even a bag can make a great home for your flowers!
You can’t go wrong with Wave Petunias to fill and add some color to upcycled materials incorporated in your garden. Share some of your own ideas with us in the comments!